Upcoming Events
  • Sat, 09/23/2017 - 10:00am - 4:00pm
  • Repeats every month on August, September, October, November, December on the first Friday until Fri Dec 15 2017 .
    Fri, 08/04/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 09/01/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 10/06/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 11/03/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 12/01/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
  • Fri, 08/04/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 09/01/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 10/06/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 11/03/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 12/01/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
  • Fri, 08/04/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 09/01/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 10/06/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 11/03/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
    Fri, 12/01/2017 - 6:00pm - 10:00pm
S M T W T F S
 
 
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
Add to calendar

Addison Museum History

The Addison House, located within the Buchanan Log House Complex, is thought to have been built by Addison Buchanan at the time of his first marriage in 1847, on the 50-acre  tract of land willed to him by his father in 1841, about 1/3 mile from his Father's Log Home, the Buchanan Log House.  Addison's Log Home was moved in 1998, and now sits, majestically, next to his parents’ Log Home.

The Addison House was built on the Eastern edge of the tract  and was situated on a gentle slope which trends northward about 200 meters to a small tributary of McCrory Creek.  Before construction of the present Elm Hill Pike, the Addison House faced directly down the slope toward the creek.  How peaceful it must have been to sit on the front porch and watch McCrory Creek flow northeastwardly on its way to a juncture with the Stones River.

The Addison House is a 2 story single pen log house, considered “square” in  plan, measuring about 20x18 feet, a very common formula in 19th century log    construction  in the Middle Tennessee area.  The primary construction is of hewn oak logs   joined with half dovetail notching at the corners and is supported on limestone footers situated at the corners of the pen.  The interior was undivided, with a central doorway facing McCrory Creek tributary and a limestone chimney on the west end gable.  A narrow stairway in the southeast corner of the pen provided access to the upper floor, also undivided. 

The Addison House interior


Addison Buchanan, son of James Buchanan & wife, Lucinda East Buchanan, was born 19 September 1814, in the Buchanan Log House.  He married
Sarah Marshall Fleming on 9 March 1847 in Davidson County, Tennessee.  After her death on 12 July 1850, he married Margaret Ann Eatherly on 15 October 1852 in Wilson County, Tennessee.  By the birth of their second daughter on 27 January 1859, they were living in Jefferson County, Tennessee.  By the 1860 US Census, they were in Franklin County, Tennessee with three children.  By the 1870 US Census, Addison and his family of wife and six children were living in Precinct 4, Kentucky Town, Grayson County, Texas.  Addison Buchanan died on 9 January 1877 in Cook  County, Texas.

 


Get the latest news by following us on Facebook!

Member Login

Proud Member
of the