Buchanan Legacy TIMELINE
Through family, business, or patronage, the legacy of the James Buchanan family today is profound and can be tied to at least 15 other historical structures in the area.
1779 - French Lick Stockade
1: was protection for early settlers against wild animals and Indian raids. Successive forts were built in the area as Indian unrest continued to take lives and destroy farms until 1790s.
1788 - Clover Bottom land
2: Original land was a grant sold to James' father, Archibald; and later leased to Andrew Jackson for Clover Bottom horse race course.
1790 - Old Blue Brick residence, Stones River
3: Built by Archibald Buchanan, Old Blue Brick became a mustering place for General Jackson's Tennessee Militia before the Battle of New Orleans.
1787 - William Bowen House, Mansker's Station*
4: The Bowen and Buchanan families are deeply intertwined as early Nashville settlers.
1800 - Lillie Buchanan Wills House, Stewart's Ferry Pike
Lillie was a sister to James, and daughter of Archibald and Agnes. Archibald died in 1806.
1802 - David Buchanan House at Two Rivers Mansion*
The first home built on the property in 1802, a two-story brick house in the Federal style by David Buchanan, still stands to the rear of the larger 1859 mansion.
1816 - Hall-McCampbell House on Kent Road*
5: James granddaughter, Nancy Buchanan Steele, marries widower Charles M. Hall who had built this house (1805) for his first wife. Charles Hall was well known to James Buchanan since 1802.
Arrange Your Free Tour
1813 - Trousdale Place, Sumner County*
The Buchanans, like great-grandson John Edward, had farms and dealings in Gallatin.
18xx - East family homeplace
Well documented but little evidence remains about Benjamin East's homeplace (and childhood home of Lucinda East).
1840 - James Jr. homeplace
This site is well documented as "the Two Rivers Ford site" which is now the area where Lebanon Pike and Old Lebanon Pike meet Donelson Pike.
1816 - Mud Tavern Station
6: This earliest community, developed from the crossroads of Elm Hill Pike and McGavock Pike toward Briley Parkway, included the tavern/inn itself, a tiny railroad depot, and post office.
1824 - Hermitage Church
7: Originally called the Ephesus church; James Buchanan later became an ordained Elder.
1840 - Addison Buchanan Log House*
8: This early log single-pen home, build by James' son Addison, has been moved to the original Buchanan homestead.
1835 - The Hermitage*
9: It goes without saying, there was a friendship and many dealings between James Buchanan and Andrew Jackson.